Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Low-Fat Tuna Salad & A Secret Weapon

So, I'm a fan of tuna salad, but I LOATH mayonnaise. Words can not explain how very much I hate it.

So, I use to always make my tuna salad with lemon juice and a couple drops of olive oil (very good I must say), but now I have discovered a new really awesome way to make it using one of my SECRET WEAPONS...

Low-Fat Greek Yogurt. Yep, it's da' bomb folks.

It's low fat, has lots of calcuim, beneficial gut bacterial and 15 grams of protein per cup, plus it has a lovely creamy texture. I grew up eating this in Saudi Arabia (where they call it Lubneh), but I never thought of putting it in tuna fish.

Without further ado here is my recipe:

1 large can of albacore tuna in spring water
1/2 cup Greek yogurt (low or non-fat)
2 celery sticks, chopped medium
1/4 onion, chopped medium
1 carrot, grated
2 Tbs raw sunflower seeds
1/8 cup chopped raw walnuts
1 tbs fresh lemon juice
fresh dill, if I have it
salt and pepper

I've also grated some zuccini into it and that is tasty. Sometimes I eat this as a sandwich, but usually I just put a 1/2 cup on a bed of fresh greens and top it off with some sprouts if I've got them.

Bon Appetito! Good eating and heath to you all!

1 comment:

Life Coach said...

"So, I'm a fan of tuna salad, but I LOATH mayonnaise. Words can not explain how very much I hate it." I can relate to this :)