Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Bipolar Disorder, Brain Chemistry, and Yoga | Yoga for Bipolar Disorder



David Morgan is a Kripalu Yoga Teacher, and he also has bipolar disorder. His blog Yoga for Bipolar Disorder, just won the 2008 Top Ten Bipolar Blogs Awards from PyschCentral, the oldest and largest mental health resource online. Here is an excerpt from David's "About" page:

As you are well aware if you have sought and found this page, bipolar disorder is a devastating illness that can destroy families and lives.

My name is David Morgan. I have bipolar disorder.

I’m also a yoga teacher. I teach yoga full time.

I can speak from personal experience as someone with bipolar disorder who has stared over the cliffs of despair more than once.

There is hope. Proper medication, nutrition, exercise, and sleep can go a long way in managing the symptoms of bipolar disorder. (Let’s start by drinking a glass of water — get one now.)

But that’s just a start.

If you, or someone you love, are struggling with bipolar disorder, please visit David's site, it is a wealth of information, and a window to hope.

The post below is a good place to start to discover the benefits yoga can provide to those managing bipolar disorder.

Bipolar Disorder, Brain Chemistry, and Yoga | Yoga for Bipolar Disorder

If you happen to be in the Knoxville, Tennessee area you can visit David in person, and enjoy one of his wonderful classes, at Yoga with Santosh.

Relaxation and meditation are key components that can drastically decrease the symptoms of bipolar disorder. My audio meditations, Progressive Relaxation Meditation, and Sivasana Meditation, are both excellent resources for calming the nervous system, and creating greater integration between mind, body and spirit.

Jai Bhagwan, and may you be happy, may you be free from all suffering.


Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting. My daughter suffers with bipolar, and it is an equally cruel and devastating disease.

Anonymous said...

YogaLife (RYS 200),offers Yoga Alliance registered Teacher Trainings Course (TTC) in India, in 3 attractive locations: "Click here for details"
http://www.yogalife.org/training.asp

Anonymous said...

I have BP I am a rapid cycler at the moment I do Yoga and meditation I am now able to control my swings within half an hour, It is my goal to be able to control it at all times, and I know I will do it... yeah yoga!!!!

Anne Brady