Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Monday Mantra – August 19, 2008

Another Monday Mantra...on Tuesday. Do you think the Universe is trying to tell me something? Honestly, I tried to carve out a bit of time yesterday for this post, but it just didn't happen. Mondays are always just so busy. But, I love it, because the Universe does have a sense of humour doesn't it? I mean, my thought on posting a mantra each Monday was that it is such a frenetic day we could all use something to give us a mindfulness break, and opportunity to shift focus, to regain steadiness and concentration...and then, I couldn't find time to do that. Hmmm... will have to work on that, for now here is a new mantra for you.

Om Namah Shivay (Aum Num-ha Shi-vi-ya)

Om Namah Shivay, is a mantra of transformation. It is an homage to Lord Shiva, the Hindu aspect of the Divine responsible for the transformation of the Universe. Sometimes referred to as the Destroyer, but in the cyclical Hindu world-view nothing is really ever destroyed so much as it is transformed, changed, or "reborn" into something new.

So, one of the great and powerful uses of this mantra in personal practice is for transforming one energy into another. If you are feeling stuck in a certain mind state, Om Namah Shivya; if you are feeling tired and need to build some energy, Om Namah Shivya; if you are feeling stricken with grief that is weighing you down like an anvil on your chest...Om Namah Shivya.

It is critical that you say the mantra, out loud or in your mind, with the greatest intention, but be aware that the mantra will do it's own work after that. You may not feel that it is working, you may even feel it is making things worse, or just a lot of resistence or anger towards it; these are always good clues that the mantra is doing its work. Stick with it awhile.

Shiva, whos mantra this is, is also the symbol of the inner self that is left intact after everything else has been consumed, so in speaking it the chanter is bowing to her inner shelf.

Let this mantra vibrate in your heart.

May it bring you great transformation, a returning to that which you already are.
Abide in Peace.

Chanting of this sacred mantra from Krishna Das


Namaste,

Teal

1 comment:

Muser Grace said...

Found your blog through ICLW. I've just become interested in Buddhist practice though I come from a different faith tradition, so I was excited to discover you! I LOVE the mantra in your post below this on bowing to that which sustains us. I think I'll incorporate it into my daily practice. Thanks!