Sunday, October 19, 2008

Teal's Yummy-In-My-Tummy Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup



Well, my friend Maura saw my FB post that I was making soup and said, can you post the recipe?? She has the two CUTEST little twin girls you have EVER seen. She makes them squash with macaroni, and they think that it is "mac and cheese". Are you listening mammas??? THAT is a great idea to keep your kids out of, or get them off, the fatty, salty, artery clogging Mac-n-Cheese merry-go-'round.

::NOTICE:: about to head up onto the soap box...

It always amazes me how many American children eat nothing but Mac-n-Cheese, pizza, chicken and fries...crap, basically. I hear parents say, "Well, that's all they'll eat, that's just what they like." Sorry, not buying it folks.

Kids will eat what you TEACH them to eat, and what you train their taste buds to respond to. Start them early and give them greatest gift you can give; the gift of a beautiful culture of healthy nourishing food that will feed their bodies and minds. The childhood obesity and health issues in this country are already reaching critical mass. Children's health is a passion of mine, please, please make it a passion of yours. If you are looking for more healthy foods for your children, check this post.

Ok, climbing down from soap box...back to soup...

So, Maura knows me well enough to know I don't use recipes, I'm way to random vector for that. It all just kind of evolves in a messy, mad-scientist sort of way.

So here is my process for this tummy-loving, heart-chakra warming autumn soup...Enjoy!

Teal's Yummy-In-My-Tummy Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup


What you need:
1 medium butternut squash
2 sweet potatoes
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
3 Tbs. olive oil
2 cups low-sodium/low-fat organic veggie, or chicken broth
3 cups of water (approximately, I add a little at a time to get the texture I want)
¼ tsp fresh finely chopped ginger
¼ tsp ground sage
¼ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp thyme
cracked pepper, and salt to taste

How to make it:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Cut open the squash and take out the seeds. Cut the squash, potatoes and onion into chunks (about 3x3”). Place all of that on a roasting pan with the two peeled cloves of garlic. Coat with the olive oil and cracked pepper (salt if you like). Roast for about 35 minutes, or until everything is tender and roasty looking.

Take the veggies out of the oven and let them cool a bit. Now you can just peel the blistered skin of the butternut off (and eat it for a treat!)

Chop up all the roasted veggies and place in a large soup pot with the broth. Mash everything up with a potato masher, and then add the ginger and other spices, and enough water to make it a good texture. I like it a little on the thick side.

Let it simmer for about 10 minutes then puree with a hand mixer.

Adjust liquid and seasoning and let simmer another 10 minutes.

Mange! Mange!


Enhanced by Zemanta

8 comments:

Angela said...

YUMMY! I can't wait to try it!I just love your blog! I had to stumble it. Thank you
Ohm shanti,
Angela

Sarah Hough said...

That sounds wonderful, can't wait to try it!

Kate said...

I am up there on the soapbox with you, my friend. Of course, I did feed Luke the teeniest bit of re- fried beans the other day, but mostly I wanted to see what he would do. I think that qualifies more as me using my son as a science experiment just for fun.

KandiB said...

I will stand on that soap box with you. Amen! I mean, if I could eat garbage all day long without it making me sick in more ways than one, I probably would, too.

I'm SO going to make this soup. MMMmmmm. Best part about fall is that its soup makin' time. ICLW

GooberMonkey said...

Mmmm, mmmm....squash and sweet potatoes are my favorite food at this time of year!

Connie said...

I love to make butternut squash soup and never thought to add sweet potatoes!!! You are a genius!! Gonna try it this weekend for sure!

Peace & Love.

Ginny said...

Well being a picky eater myself, I know sometimes it doesn't matter how much it is forced, some people do not like all foods.

However, I 100% agree on the getting started early on healthy foods! I know I didn't' allow salt for my girls & they never knew the difference. That is until both my mom and my husband started giving it to them. Now they ask for it. Made me so mad because they couldn't have cared less before. I personally still don't use it on them, so have to really watch hubs & mom. I have no idea why they feel they need to give it.

Great post though! ICLW

Anonymous said...

This sounds so good! I wish I had a hand blender. Or a blender in an of itself. Darnit!